Contact: +234 809 888 5556
Welcome to your Professional Ethics
1. The name of Mr Tayo Oni was struck off from the roll. He must fulfil all but one of the following conditions before his name can be reinstated.
2. As a student of Nigerian Law School, the following regulatory bodies have a direct controlon your preparation for call to the Nigerian Bar
3. One of the following is not a function of the council of Legal Education
4. A letter of application for the post of a legal officer in UAC Nigeria Plc must contain thefollowing except
5. The schedule as a part of legislation is useful for one of the following
1. A unit of practice whereby two or more practitioners contribute capitalto provide facilities for the law office with distinct individual practice iscalled
2. The following are some of the experiences a client gets from a large lawfirm except
3. Law Firms can be classified into the following categories except
4. Law Office supplies includes all but one of the following
5. An example of Law Office machines includes all but one of the following
6. In Law Office Management, rubber stamp is classified as
7. In acquiring Law Office equipment, a major disadvantage of leasing an equipment for law office use is
8. In the management of law office staff, the disciplinary procedure include the following except
9. The induction programme for a newly employed staff in a law firm will acquaint the new staff with the following except
10. The following are the stages of the selection procedures of a staff in the law firm except
11. One of the following is not a mode of attracting and selecting a law office staff
12. Law office records includes all but one of the following
13. The following records are classified as law office records except
15. The alphabetical system of filing includes all but one of the following
16. The non-alphabetical system of filing can be in form of the following except
17. An arrangement for file closing can be in form of having a
18. One of the following information is not included in a Preprinted Form Reminder System (PPFRS)
19. The personal reminder system does not include one of the following
20. The following are the order of prioritization except
21. A document used to set out the systems and procedure for office administration is called
22. One of the following is not an item in the content of an office manual
23. One of the following is not a measure to be put in place for Law office security and insurance
24. A good law office must have the following except
25. One of the following is not a factor to consider in law office layout
26. One of the following is not a type of room arrangement for law office
27. One of the following is not A FACTOR to considering using premises for law office use
28. A major disadvantage of using the home as a law office is
29. A lawyer can get an office through one of the following means
30. One of the following is not a type of premises used for law office
31. A legal practitioner’s client includes all but one of the following
32. The appropriate for law firms in Nigeria owing to the fused nature of our legal practice is
33. One of the following is not listed as content of a Business Plan
34. The capital used in financing a law firm includes
35. A document containing the details of the goals of the firm and financial projections for it is called
36. One of the following is not a personal quality of a successful legal practitioner
37. One of the following is not a reason for establishing a law firm
38. The practice of charges and bail is bad due to all but one of the following reasons
39. The chairman of the Legal Practitioner’s Disciplinary shall not be one of the following
40. In inspecting a law office for the purpose of possible conferment of the rank of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, the Committee looks out for the following except
41. In applying for the rank of SAN, the cases handled by the applicant must satisfy all the following criteria except
42. The total number of final judgments of the High Court required of an applicant for the rank of SAN is
43. One of the following persons in law is not a member of the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee
44. The Legal Practitioners Remuneration Committee enjoys the following powers except
45. A pro bono service means
46. One of the organizations may provide free legal service to indigent clients except
47. One of the following is not a Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Provider
48. The following institutions/bodies has capacity to train legal practitioners in Nigeria
49. One of the following bodies consults with the Nigerian Law School about the education of aspirants to the Bar
50. The words “Bar Council” is in reference to which of these bodies
51. The Court usually vested with inherent powers to punish for contempt in facie curiae is
52. The proof for civil contempt is
53. One of the following acts does not amount to contempt of court
54. The Latin Maxim for the statement “the law does not compel the impossible” is
55. One of the following is not a type of reminder system useful in a law office
56. An office manual must reflect the following except
57. The rule which allows the court to severe or strike out an unreasonable covenant in an agreement by way of interpretation of statues and instruments is called
58. One of the following is not a stage in drafting legal instruments
59. One of the following is not a segment in legislative drafting
60. One of the following parts of legislation is peculiar to international treaties and constitution of nations
61. The part of a legislation which creates a body to administer the legislation is called
62. All but one of the following legislative concepts are used in treaties and constitutions of nations
63. A good draftsman must avoid the pitfalls in drafting except
64. The ethics of a good mediator includes the following except
65. The objectives of the multi door house concept includes the following except
66. The first court-connected multi door court house in Nigeria is
67. One of the following is not a means of accessing the Multi Door Courthouse in Lagos State
68. One of the following is not a door known to the Lagos MultiDoor Courthouse
69. A major challenge bedeviling the Multi Door Courthouse in Nigeria is
70. In commencing a mediation exercise, a good mediator must inform the parties of the following except
71. The stages of mediation includes the following except
72. One of the following is not an advantage of mediation
73. The verdict of an arbitral panel is called
74 The duration within which a dissatisfied party in an arbitral proceeding can challenge the award is
75. Arbitration is applicable in all but one of the following matters except
76. A clause in a commercial agreement which makes reference to settlement of disputes by arbitrators is called
77. One of the following is not a content of an arbitral award
78. The requirements for enforcement of an arbitral award includes the following except
79. One of the following is not a ground for refusal of an arbitral award
80. One of the following is not a stage in arbitral proceeding
81. Arbitration can arise in one of the following situations except
82. One of the following is not a stage in the Chay and Smith model of interview
83. One of the following is not a feature of Alternative Dispute Resolution
84. One of the following is not a type of question a lawyer can pick in cross examination
85. In the exercise of management skill as a practitioner, the practitioner must device one of the following plans except
86. One of the following is not an element of verbal communication
87. One of the following areas do not require planning in a law firm as the lawyer exercises his management skills
88. Management system in law firm can be classified into the following categories except
89. In designing and planning the goals of a law firm, the goals must be
90. One of the following is not a stage of trial in advocacy
91. Munkman’s technique of advocacy compasses all but one of the following techniques
92. One of the following is not a strategy for preparation of a case
93. One of the following is not a quality of a good advocatea. courage
94. One of the following rules of a negotiator is not within the contemplation of Ury and Fisher
95. One of the following is not a stage in negotiation
96. One of the following is not a tactic in negotiation
97. Negotiation styles includes all but one of the following
98. One of the following is not a strategy in negotiation
99. The sources of Nigerian Law includes the following except
100. Law can be classified into the following categories except
101. One of the following acts will not amount to an unethical act on the part of a counsel
102. One of the following cannot be found inside a court room
103. Mr Ajayi Benjamin is the principal Counsel at Ajayi Legal Consult, located along Ogbomosho Street, Area 8, Garki Abuja, a very busy Law Firm. Mr Ajayi has employed eight (8) young and vibrant lawyers to work with him. During your just concluded Externship Programme, Five (5) students of the Nigerian Law School were posted to the Law Firm. The externs were able to observe and learn about the day to day running of the Law Firm.
Answer the following questions
105. Which of the following is mandatory for the Law Firm under the Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners?
106. The Books of Account to be kept by a Legal Practitioner are:
107. Books of account are kept by the Legal Practitioner and maintained
108. One of the following is not to be considered in mapping out a law office layout
109. Which of the following is not the qualification of law firms in the non-technical generic sense?
110. A major disadvantage in a partnership is
111. Which of the following is not synonymous with the problem solving strategy of Negotiation?
112. One of the following bodies is responsible for the making and revising of the Rules of Professional Conduct?
113. Which of the duties of Counsel to client is otherwise referred to as the “Cab Rank Rule”?
114. A Director of a company shall not do one of the following
115. Under the procedure of Professional Discipline in the legal profession, which controlling body has the duty to investigate the offence?
116. Apart from the Counsel in the Counsel/Client relationship of his Duty to preserve confidential communications, all except one of the following persons also owns this duty to the client under Section 170 of the Evidence Act.
117. A Legal Practitioner who is a party to a case and who decides to appear for himself shall do one of the following:
118. To qualify for total exemption at the Nigerian Law School, such candidate must prove that:
118. A very important office equipment you would find in the a Law Firm is
119. Due to the number of fee earners in the Law Firm, an essential support staff that the law firm must have to ensure perfect synergy is:
120. As an Extern in the Law Firm, one important lawyering skill you are likely to acquire within the office is:
121. Which of the underlisted is one of the requirements in any Law office
122. You were an extern in the Legal Drafting department of the Ministry of Justice of Kano State. The Director has asked you what part of a legislation broadly captures main themes of the legislation?
123. He also asked you how section, subsection, paragraph and subparagraph may be written in composing the draft of a legislation:
124. The director seeks to know which of the following is referred to as the nickname of a statute.
125. During the externship period, Robert attended several Court sessions where he witnessed the calling of cases from the …………(125)……………..by the Court’s ……………(126)……………..He also witnessed the way lawyers who came to represent their clients……(127)………their appearance. Where matters were unable to proceed, Robert learnt that parties on either side had to pick other date(s) convenient to the court. In other words, such matters were …………(128)………… They were also instances where a lawyer to a party present in court had asked the judge in writing to put the case on hold for him as he was due to make it to court a little later the same day. This was referred to as having the matter …………(129)……….At the end of the day, the Counsel failed to make it to Court and his opposing Counsel felt dejected and asked the Court for ……………(130)………………
6. The following are types of legal practice a lawyer may engage in except
7. One of the following statement is False
8. One of the following is not a procedural step, for meting out sanctions on a lawyer
9. All but one of the following are the circumstance when a solicitor may withdraw from client’s money account without notifying the client.
10. One of the following is not an innovation in the requirement for the conferment of the rank of senior Advocate of Nigeria
11. The cab rules entails
12. All but one of the following is not an exception to the Cab Rank Rule
13. One of the following statement is false
Court session in Magistrate Court of Ogun State
Magistrate: Clerk: call the next case
Clerk: case No. MOK/12/2001 Between C.O.P v Olu.
Magistrate: Is the suspect in court?
Clerk: yes, your highness
Magistrate: Any appearance?
Suraj: I am suraj safejo for the accused person
Chukwudi: May it please this honourable court? E. Chukwudi, state counsel, appears for the prosecution.
Magistrate: what is the present position of this matter
Chukwudi: it is for adoption of written address your majesty
Magistrate: counsel, are you ready to adopt your written addresses today?
Suraj: yes my lord
Chukwudi: your highness, I would have been ready to adopt but I seek the leave of the court to raise a preliminary objection as to the competence of Mr. S. Suraj to appear in this court having not paid his practising fee for the year.
Magistrate: yes, Mr Suraj, what have you to say to the allegation made against you by your colleague?
Suraj: Your excellency, I would have paid but for the economic meltdown bedevilling every state of the world and recent Judicial workers strike.
Chukwudi: the excuse is unfounded, because my colleague is also defaults in complying with the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) for lawyers. Your majesty, may I submit that Mr. Suraj cannot be granted a right of audience in any court until he complies with the requisite provisions of the rules of professional conduct.
Answer the following questions. 14. The proper Mode of addressing a magistrate above is
15. The correct mode of announcing appearance in court was stated by
16. The word ‘suspect’ as stated by the magistrate ought to be
17. From the above scenario, written address will principally contain
18. The word ‘my lord’ as used by Mr Suraj in the above scenario is usually used for which of the following categories of court
19. The effect of the first preliminary objection raised by Mr Chukwudi is that
20. The reason given by Mr Suraj for non-payment of the practicing fee is
21. From the totality of failings of Mr Suraj, the only reason(s) why he would be denied right of audience before the court is
22. The effect of possession of stamp and seal by Mr. Sursj is that
23. Mr chukwudi and Mr Suraj owe the court all but one of the following duties
Justice is best done by a judge who holds the balance between the contending parties without himself taking part in their dispute. If a judge should himself conduct the examination of witnesses, he, so to speaker descends into the arena and is likely to have his vision clouded by the dust of conflict per Lord Green M. R. in Jones v national Coal Board.24. The following statement can be deduced from the above quote of the learned Lord Green M.R.
25. From the statement above, a court owes counsel one of the following duties
26. The effect of a judge taking part in the dispute of the parties as could be gleaned from the above statement is
27. The skill required by the Judge in the above statement to deliver an impartial judgment includes all but one of the following
28. One of the following is not really an alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) option but a means of resolving dispute
29.One of the following regulatory bodies does not directly regulate the activates of lawyer at bar
30. The history of the legal profession in Nigeria is traceable to which of the following centuries
31. The English law itself emanated from common Law as back as
32. The word barrister emerged from
33 When was the first time the word Barrister was mentioned
34. The first court in Nigeria was named
35. The first set of court in Nigeria between 1863 and 1874 were followings Court Except
36. In tracing the history of legal profession, the first major duties of solicitors were
37. One of the following name(s) is not peculiar to a solicitor in Nigeria
38. A minute of meeting contain the following items except
39. The statute which enable the professionally qualified legal practitioner and solicitor to practice in Nigeria between 1876 and 1914 is
40. One of the following Inns was not peculiar to England between 1914-1962
41. In the past, one of the following is not a deficiency of an English trained lawyer practising in Nigeria.
42. The three categories of persons qualified for the practice of law in Nigeria include all but one of the following
43. One of the following may not be appropriate as a mode of taking instruction in chamber by a lawyer
44. Conflict of interest may arise in all but one of the following scenarios
45. One of the following statement is false
46. One of the following practices is not a breach of professional duties of the lawyer
47. All but one of the following category of persons has a duty to preserve confidential information which became known to them in the course of their duty
48. A client has a right to terminate the brief of his lawyer in all but one of the following circumstances brief
49. One of the following statements is false.
50. One of the following statements is false
51. Where a prosecuting counsel is aware of any court decision favourably to an accused person, he has all but one of the following options.
52. The client owes the counsel all but one of the following duties
53. A lawyer owes the client all but one of the following duties
54. A solicitor’s duty to the client include all but one of the following
55. A counsel has a duty to observe all but one of the following before a Judge whom he appears
56. A counsel needs the permission of the court to do all but one of the following
57. One of the following does not constitute professional misconduct before the court
58. Prescription of dinning terms for aspirants to the bar is the duty of ____ while the training of aspirants to the bar is vested in _____
59. The conferment of the rank of senior Advocate of Nigeria is vested in ______ while the sanctioning of a legal practitioner for professional misconduct is vested in ________
60. One of the following is not a duty a lawyer owes his professional colleague
61. One of the following is not a permissible way in which a legal practitioner can advertise himself
62. One of the following is a permissible way in which a lawyer may advertise his legal practice
63. one of the following statement is false
64. In charging a client, a lawyer shall take into consideration the following factors except
65. Failure by the legal practitioner to serve a bill of charges on his client has one of the following effects except.
66. One of the following is not a type of fees/ charges a lawyer may charge
67. All but one of the following is a content of bill of charges
68. In the scale of charges, a lawyer may charge for all but one of the following legal service.
69. The legal practitioners’ (Remuneration for Legal Documentation and other Land Matters) Order of 1991 is applicable to all but one of the following transactions
70. One of the following statements is false about the ledger
71. One of the following is false about the cash account
72. All but one of the following regulatory bodies has a role to play in a solicitor’s account
73. The examination of a lawyer’s account can be carried out by which of the following persons in law
74. The Legal Practitioners Account Rules 1964 provides for the following except
75.One of the following is not a direct source of client’s money
76. One of the following is not a type of account to be kept by a solicitor under the Legal Practitioner Account Rules of 1964
77. One of the following is not an objective for keeping solicitor’s account.
78. The Legal Practitioner Account Rule 1964 enjoins every Solicitor to keep separate account of the following except
79. One of the following terms/abbreviations is not peculiar to formal letter writing
80. One of the following is not a factor to be considered in letter writing
81. A lawyer may engage in all but one of the following businesses
82. Which of the following statement is false concerning a Senior Advocate
83. A Judicial officer must disqualify himself in the following circumstances except
84. The interest of a Judicial Officer in a case may be personal or fiduciary financial interest in all but one of the following capacities
85. The parties involved in disciplining a judge of the State High Court exclude
86. In removing the Chief Judge of a State, one of the following person’s in law would not be involved
87. In nominating and confirming the appointment of a person as judge of the High Court of a State, the following are stake holders, except
88. The quorum for a valid sitting of the legal practitioner Disciplinary committee is
89. The direction of the proceeding of the legal practitioners Disciplinary Committee is issued under the hand of
90. One of the following is not an organ for disciplining of a legal Practitioner
91. One of the following is not a challenge of using ICT in law office Management
92. One of the following is not a research engine for legal research
93. The usefulness of e-library tools includes all but one of the following
94. One of the following books of account cannot be computerize in a law firm
95. The role of information technology excludes
96. A major disadvantages of partnership as a unit of legal practise is
97. One of the major advantages of sole practitionership is
98. A major disadvantage of sole practitionership is
99. Some of the terms to be stated in a partnership agreement includes all but one of the following
100. In preparing a partnership agreement, one of the following clause is not important
101. One of the following is not a restriction on law partnerships
102. One of the following is not a reason why partnerships fail
103. A partnership may fail as a result of one of these factors
104. One of the following is not a major factor to consider before setting up a law firm
105. A unit of Practise where two or more practitioners contribute capital to establish a law firm for profit is called
Assuming chioma was unsuccessful in her bid to work for Eagles Holding Nigeria Limited and has now gotten appointment with the National Assembly in Abuja through senator Adewale as a legal draftsman, she would need a good understanding of all but one of the following stages to be a reliable draftsman.106.
107. Assuming chioma eventually to set up her law firm, her potential client includes all but one of the following
109. In drafting a good bill for her boss in the office for onward transmission to the two chamber of the National Assembly, Chioma must avoid all but one of these pitfalls
110. chioma would need to use all but one of the following well in her newly found assignment at the National Assembly
111. In her drafting, chioma may need to effectively use paragraphs, all but one of the following paragraphing techniques is not advisable for her
112. In legal drafting, Chioma would need all but one of the following words or phrases to show time
113. In legal drafting, Chioma would need all but one of the following words or phrases to show place or direction
114. In legal drafting, chioma would need all but one of the following words or phrases to contrast
115. In legal drafting, chioma would need all but one of the following words or phrases to summarise or conclude
116. In legal drafting, chioma would need one of the following arrangement and formalities to draft an ideal Bill.
117. The two classes of persons allowed to practise law in Nigeria by virtue of the supreme court Ordinance of 1876 between 1876-1914 includes all but one of the following
118. Between 1914-1962, an applicant seeking to become a Barrister must join all but one of these Inns of Court in England.
119. Between 1914-1962, the minimum number of year(s) a pupil is required to serve pupillage in England is
121. One of the following is not included in the recommendations of the unsworth Committee Published in October 1959.
122. In the post 1962 era in the legal profession, those entitled to practise in the legal profession includes all but one of the following
123. One of the following is not a stage in legal drafting generally
124. A lawyer owes all but one of these duties to his profession
125. In classifying account one of the following is not a type of impersonal Account
126. The act of recording pecuniary or business transaction in a regular and systematic manner is generally referred to as
127. A lawyer require one of the following skill to successfully file a petition for divorce
128. A partnership firm is duty bound to keep all but one of the following books of account
129. In cases where Chief Eke has been retained in a retainership agreement, he may divulge privilege communication between himself and a client in all but one of the following circumstance
130. One of the following is not the objectives of Nigeria Bar Association
Aisha was called to the Nigerian Bar on the 10th day of July, 2006. On the 11th day of July, 2011 she was given a case file in Suit No: HE/102/2005 between Dabira Joseph v. Josiah Julius to prepare a Motion on Notice which is slated for hearing on the 15th day of July, 2005. Having prepared the motion, Aisha’s principal has directed her to appear in the matter on the said date and move the motion at the High Court of Justice, Enugu, Enugu State. Aisha could not appear in court by 9 am prompt due to traffic logjam. Eventually, her matter was called and she announced appearance for the applicant in the motion. The opposing counsel opposed the hearing of the application on the ground his client has not been served. The trial judge thereafter adjourned the matter for all the parties concerned to be duly served and the proof of service documented in the court’s file.
Answer the following questions:
132. Upon entering into the court room, Aisha would need one of the following to know when her case is likely to be called up
133. Assuming the motion has been moved and the prayers therein granted, the court and all the parties would need to take another date through the use of
134.Upon the attainment of the age of 10 years at the Bar, Aisha would be qualified to be appointed into all but one of the following offices which is exclusive to the Legal profession
135. In announcing her appearance before the court, Aisha may adopt one of the following modes of appearance at the High Court.
136. All but one of the following may deny Aisha, her right of audience before the High Court of Enugu State
137. In managing Aisha’s law firm as the head, she would need one of the following law office machine to become effective in service delivery to her client
138. Assuming Aisha wants to approach the Enugu State Multi Door Courthouse due to the arbitration clause in the contractual agreement which is the subject matter of her suit in the court. Aisha may approach all but one of the following doors
139.Assuming Aisha wants to set up her law firm in Bagauda, Kano State as a legal practitioner, all but one of the following factors is of paramount importance to her
140. Assuming Aisha was tired of being a pupil in her principal’s office and has decided to engage in the practice of Charge and Bail, one of the following is not the reason to discourage her from the said practice
141. One of the following duties would be breached by Aisha if she failed to appear in court to move the motion
142. All but one of the following reasons would spur Aisha to set up her own law firm
143. Assuming Aisha is a member of the Body of Benchers, one of the following will not be a privilege to be accorded her
144. Assuming Aisha wants to take further information from her client to effectively cross-examine the Respondent using the Avrom Sherr’s three stage model, one of the following stages will not be adopted
Chioma was called to the Bar in the year 1996. She has practiced law for the past 10 years in the law firm of Chisom & Co in Owerri as the Head of Chambers. Chioma has decided to venture into corporate law practice by applying as a company secretary to Eagles Holdings Nigeria Limited. She is to attend an interview on a date to be fixed by the company. Meanwhile, she also plans to set up her law firm pending when she gets a gainful corporate employment. She was able to raise the sum of N600, 000.00 (Six Hundred Thousand Naira) to set up her law firm in her residence
146. Chioma needs all but one of the following qualities to succeed in her private legal practice
147. One of the following is not a reason to advise Chioma against setting up her law firm in her residence
148. In addition to the N600,000.00 already gotten by Chioma, other sources of finance available to her includes the following except
149. Assuming Chioma is now employed with the company as the company secretary and has been detailed to prepare the minutes of the next board meeting, she will need to insert all but one of the following in the minutes to do this successfully
150. Chioma would require all but one of the following guidelines to draft a good Curriculum Vitae/Resume
In the course of your externship you accompanied your principal to swearing in of 19 newly appointed judges of the National Industrial Court (NIC) they were sworn in by the 1----------- your principal latter gave you an assignment to briefly state the procedure for their appointment. You stated that the 2----------------- advices the 3-------------- who then recommends them to the 4-------------.1.
Mr oke: With utmost humility my lord my name is O.O Oke esq and I am appearing for myself.
Court clerk: my lord parties are present in court and are ready to go on.
Mr oke: fully robed conducted his case from the bar and went into the witness box to be cross examined with his robe on. Another counsel in the court interrupted the proceedings to state that mr oke had no right to conduct his case from the bar fully robed.
Mr oke: my friend, keep quite if you don’t know the law. By rule 6 of the RPC, 1976 and on the authority of Gani V NBA I can only remove my wig and gown with the permission of this court.
Answer the following question using the above scenario.
Mr oke introduction of himself before the court is called
6. Which of the following comments on Mr oke’s representation of himself and his conduct of the case is correct.
7. The reaction of Mr Oke to the objection raised in the respect of his conduct of the case amount to:
8. The grounds for removing a Judicial officer includes all but one of the following
9. All but one of the following is not true about a retired judicial officer
10. The Avorm Sherr’s model of interviewing involves all but one of the following
11. The applicable rule in charging where a legal practitioner acts for both the mortgagor and the mortgagee is
12. One of the following Judicial authorities does not support the procedure for recovering of professional fees under section 16 of the legal practitioners Act L.F.N 2010
13. One of the following is not a source of law you would use in researching on the implication of non- payment of practicing fee
14. The types of contempt includes all but one of the following
15. All but one of the following rights are exclusive to legal practitioners except
16. chief Ayo can enjoy all the following exclusive rights as a legal practitioner except
17. which of the following statement is false?
18. A lawyer owes the court the following duties except
19. The following constitute breach of rules of professional conduct except
20. One of the following is not a function of the body of benchers